Hi in this post we will learn how to prepare lucknowi biryani. In this style of preparation chicken and rice are prepared separetly and then mixed together.
- Chicken- 500gms
- Turmeric- 1 tea spoon
- Salt- As per taste
- Coriander Powder- 1 table spoon
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tea spoon
- pepper- 1 tea spoon
- Garam masala- 1 tea spoon
- cumin powder- 1 tea spoon
- Onion- 200 gms
- Tomato puree- 100 gms
- Green Chillies
- Basmati Rice- 250gms
- Cinnamom sticks
- Cumin seeds
- Pepper Corns
- Keshar or Saffron
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Fried onions
- Dry Fruits
- Ghee or clarified butter
- Wash the chicken add salt, turmeric, oil, yoghurt, Coriander pwd,Cumin powder, Pepper pwd, Garam masala.
- Referigerate this marinate for 1 hour
- In a frying pan heat Oil
- To the oil Add green chillies and Chopped onions, fry it until the onion turns tender.
- To this add the marinated chicken
- Cook until the Masala gets fried and the chicken turns tender.
- Soak the rice for 1/2 hour
- drain the water
- In a pan heat water
- To the water Add all the ingredients mentioned
- When the water comes to boil, Add rice
- IMPORTANT: we have to take out rice when its 3/4th cooked( Check: when the rice starts Dancing take a piece of it , if it breaks easily this means your rice is done)
- For the dum Choose a vessel such that the lid is tight such that the steam wont escape much out of it. To captivate the steam is called DUM
- Layer the bottom of the vessel with the cooked chicken
- On it layer the Rice, also use the water in which the Rice was cooked(This well help to captivate the moisture, which will help in the cooking the rice and chicken)
- On the rice put the fried onion, soaked saffrons in milk , little milk, mint leaves, ghee, dry fruits
- Repeat the process for each layer.
- Cover the Vessel tighltly
- Cook For 20 mins
- Serve it with Raita.
I would suggest first to prepare the chicken first followed by rice then the Dum.
At the end of cooking, be ready for your nieghbours to ring your Door bell. Since the aroma of biryani is irresistingg...
Enjoy :-) Happy Cooking. Thanks
By: Sushmita Pandit