Potatoes are life saviors at time when you are utterly hungry and have no time to hop in grocery to buy any other vegies or food. In the above video you can find a very easy yet filling and tasty Potato curry.
The special gravy that is made with Poppy seed and Almond adds to the flavor of Potato.
Preparation - 15 mins
Cooking time-15- 20 mins
- Potatoes boiled- 5 medium in size
- Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Green chillies- as per taste
- curry leaves- 10
- Paanch foren or Cumin seed-1 Tsp
- Tomato- 1 large , diced
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 Tbsp
- Curry Powder- 1 Tsp
- Pepper Powder- 1 Tsp
- Paprika powder- 1 Tsp
- Oil for cooking
- Salt as per taste
- Almond and poppy seed paste.(Equal amount of almond and poppy seed grind them in a mixer or food processor by adding little water into a fine paste)
Method of preparation:
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan, once the oil is Hot, Add the paanchforen(which is mixture of several seeds) or simply the cumin seed. Once the cumin seed starts crackling add the chillies and onion. saute them for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for 1 minute.
- By the time tomatoes gets fried we will prepare the spice paste by adding water to the mentioned spices.
- Add this spice paste and fry until oil separates from the it. Separation of oil from tomato or masala(Spices) is the indication that masala is done now.
- Add the potato and salt as per taste,toss them well so that they get a coast of the spices.
- Now Add 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer for 1 to 2 minute in medium heat.
- Let me tell you that at this point your curry is almost ready ,if you do not wish to add the Almond and poppy seed paste you can simply serve the potato curry like this as well.
- However addition of this paste furthur enhance the taste of the curry and also helps in adding weight to the gravy which is very gud when we are having this curry with any bread.
- After adding the almond and poppy seed paste we will futhur simmer the curry in low heat for minute or two . Adjust the salt and then your Potato curry is absolutely ready to serve.
Happy cooking :-)
By- Sushmita Pandit
Click here for another potato curry.