Palak paneer is an authentic Indian cuisine. It has got all the goodness of Spinach and cheese.
It had been a month since i started craving for the palak paneer. Its great with chapati and nan.
In Germany we get frozen spinach as "spinat gemuse". I really like them, its so easy to cook with the frozen cubes. But fresh spinach are always better and healthy.
Preparation Time- 15 mins
Cooking time- 30 Mins
- Spinach leaves/ frozen spinach- 500 gms
- Paneer- 250 gms
- Green Chilly- as per taste
- Onion- 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 Tbsp
- Tomato -1 finelly chopped or pureed
- Cream- 2Tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water for cooking
- Oil for cooking
- Butter- 1 Tbsp
- Cinnamon sticks or cinnamon powder
- Turmeric powder- 1Tsp
- Cumin powder- 2 Tsp
- Coriander powder- 1.5 Tbsp
- Pepper Powder- 1Tsp
- Pesto- 1 Tbsp(optional)
Mix all the masala and prepare a fine paste by adding water to it or with the help of tomato puree.
- If you have whole spinach leaves- Wash them and boil them in water by adding little salt to it for 10 mins. Once boiled let it cool off a little and then in a blender , prepare its puree. If you have frozen cubes of spinach that is all fine.
- Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a pan or kadai, add cinnamon powder or stick, let the oil absorb the flavour.
- Add the onion,salt for the onion and green chillies, saute until onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the masala paste and the remaining tomato puree, fry until oil separates from the masala.
- (optional- add pesto and fry for 1 minute. )
- At this point of time add the pureed spinach or frozen cubes of spinach, add little water, let it simmer in low heat for 2 mins.
- By the time simmering happens, cut the paneer into cubes, heat butter in a pan and fry the paneer cubes until they get coated with light golden brown crust. season with salt.
- Once done add the fried paneer in the spinach. stir well and turn off the heat.
- Drizzle the cream over the curry.
Palak paneer is ready to be served. Serve it hot with Nan, Chapati or parotha.
Enjoy. :-) and Happy cooking.
How to make paneer????? checkout http://wahsushkitchen.blogspot.in/2012/09/paneercottage-cheese-how-to-prepare.html
By: Sushmita Pandit