Chai is Refreshing and stress releasing. In the morning it gives me a kickstart on the otherside in the evening , a cup of chai do wonders releasing my all day long stress. Necessary to mention, Chai has several types "mamuli chai", "chalu chai", "masala chai", "herbal chai", "darjeeling tea", "green tea","Cough reliving Kada"and "The ghar wali adrak ki chai(Ginger Tea)".
In general at our home we prepare the "The ghar wali adrak ki chai(Ginger Tea)". Whilst at the kiosk we can find the very tasty"chalu chai",Hotels and resturant specializes in "Masala tea", Grandma and kids would always prefer the "herbal tea", And during cold and cough it becomes a medicine which we call kada(greatly helps in reliving cough ) .
This is my version of Ginger and masala Chai.
cooking time 5 minutes
Serves- 2 tea cups
- Water- 150 ml
- Milk - 120 ml
- Ginger- 1 inch(crushed or minced) or Dry Ginger powder- 1 Tsp
- Basil leaves- 3-4 leaves or Dry basil leaves- 1Tsp
- Pepper cons- Freshly crushed(1/2 Tsp)
- Chai patti(Tea leaves)- 1 Tbsp[Red label, Tata tea or any other brand will do]
- Sugar- 1Tbsp or adjust to your taste
- Heat water in a saucepan.
- Add sugar, chai patti, ginger, pepper and basil leaves at medium heat.
- Bring it to boil.
- Once the colour becomes dark red add the milk.
- Bring it to boil twice or thrice for the perfect taste.(Keep an eye on your chai, since once it comes to boil , there are good chances that it may spill off the pan)
- Turn off the heat once done. let the chai rest for 10 seconds
- Use a seive to filter out the chai in a cup, and serve it hot.
Enjoy your cup of tea. Thank you for reading.
Happy cooking :-)
By: Sushmita Pandit