While i was in Bangalore i usually prepared this curry for my Lunch box. This is a pretty simple and straight forward curry which requires no cooking mastery.Talking about the end product, i bet you will always prepare this because its tasty as well as easy to prepare.
My colleges back in India always liked my kaddu dishes like dal kaddu and kaddu kofta. It is a solution for people who get very less time to cook or want a recipe that can be prepared in just minutes.
Apart from being tasty this super healthy and nutritious curry since it is all full with protein, iron and several other vitamins. Those who are on diet this can be your dieting curry.
Lets take a look at the recipe.
Preparation time- 5 minutes
Cooking time - 15 minutes.
Total time- 20 minutes.
Level of difficulty - easy
- Bottle-gourd - 1, peeled and then chopped into 2cm cubes.
- Onion- 1,sliced
- Tomato- 1, medium, cut into halves
- Green chillies as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Chana dal- handful(100g to 150g),washed
- Oil- 2 Tbsp
- Paanch phoron- 1 Tsp or cumin seed - 1 Tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Bay leaf-1
- Turmeric powder- 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 Tsp
- Pepper powder- 1 Tsp
- Coconut crushed or chopped- 1 Tbsp(optional)
- Coriander leaves
- Before you start cutting your bottlegourd, just soak the chana dal in hot water(This will give ample time for water to be soaked by chana dal before you put them in cooker. This is to speed up cooking of chana dal)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker vessel or in a vessel with a heavy lid.
- Once the oil is hot, add the paanch phoron and curry leaves. Once the seeds starts crackling add the onions and green chilies. saute until onion turns translucent.
- Add the bottleguard, chana dal, tomato and the spices(turmeric, coriander, pepper), bay leaf and salt .
- Now stir once.
- Add water such that you cover more than half of your veggies with water( 3/4th ).
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and wait for 3 whistle in medium to low flame.
- After the 3rd whistle turn off the heat and wait for the steam to settle down.
- Once steam settles, open and garnish with coriander and coconut.
Serve hot with rice, bread or chapati...
Enjoy and Happy cooking.
By- Sushmita pandit.