Dalia or Wheat rice are extremely light and highly nutritious . Addition of vegetable makes them super nutritious. Khichri means mixture of lentil , rice and vegetables. These are said to be easily digestable. My son , husband and Father-in-law love this dish. You can bring in any number of vegetable to this dish, no matter what it always taste great.
This Recipe will serve -4
Preparation- 10 minutes
Cooking- 5 minutes to 30 minutes.
Level of difficulty- easy
- Dalia/ Wheat rice/ weizengrütze fein -200gms
- Lentil- 200gms
- Carrot- 1, chopped
- Zuchini- 1, chopped
- Cauliflower- 2 florets
- Potato- 2, chopped
- Butter- 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seed- 1 Tsp
- Turmeric- 1 Tsp(optional)
- Tomato- 1 large, chopped
- Water- 600-800 ml of water
- In a pressure cooker pan, heat butter, add the cumin seed and let it crackle.
- Add in the wheat rice, fry until colour changes to little whitish.
- Now drop all the vegetables and washed lentil.
- Add water such that you cover 2/3rd of the vegetable layer.
- Season with salt and turmeric.
- Cover the pressure cooker and in low heat wait for three whistles.
- Turn off the heat and let the cooker cool up for 5 minutes.
Your Vegetable Dalia Khichri is absolutely ready to be Serve.
Serve hot with Papad ,Chips ,curd or pickle.
To cook without pressure cooker, after step 5 , cover the pan with a heavy lid and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are done.
By- Sushmita Pandit